August 26 2002 at 11:56 AM
Forum Owner

Response to hehe..

In the UK what happens is this.
1) Ditto, you need to get into a degree course first. But this is usually easy through clearing. Find the most obscure course they offer, and apply for it. You think to enter a degree in Forest Curing you're going to need great high school grades? Forget about it man.

2) You will have to go along and enrol, get your paperwork. I can't remember if you need to register for every class by being attending a couple of the module sessions or not, but what the hell, still ain't costing you anything, and just think of it as a 'vacation' in the town where the uni is. It'll be worth the money.

3) You send the documentation to a big company called The Student Loans company (original) in Glasgow, and they start sending you chunks of the yearly grant every the semester or term (3 terms a year).

4) You go to a bank (or 3) and show them you're a student, start a student account, and the second you chuck in your first part of the grant, that's it, you're entitled to usually a 1500-2500 overdraft, and that's just the interest free part. Some banks offer up to 4000 with minimal interest. I know some people who've taken the money out, put it into another bank, and gotten the same overdraft. Risky business. I wouldn't have the balls to do that.

5) You attend the first few classes, and then you drop out. I don't know how it works in the states, but if you fail one semester in the UK, even if you don't attend any exams, it might not necessarily mean you will be kicked out if you can catch up the next term. Therefore the grant company won't stop paying you until your second year. That's 2700 you've got in your pocket that you didn't have to work for. Ontop of bullshit money you could apply for in the first term like Hardship funds, whatever, mounts up to another grand or something.

6) You'll have a student card and documentation from the University you'll attend so you'll get discounted cinema tickets, free drinks with nightclub entry, cheaper travel, and, the mother of all student perks, the chance to get the fabled J1 visa, a summer only visa that allows foreign students to enter the States and work for 4 months, full-time, tax free. I.T. In Silicon Valley, man. You'll pay off those debts. That alone is probably worth 'entering' University for.


1) You won't be able to find funding should you decide to go to University later. But resourceful people like you don't need University. I'm a firm believer that self-education is the best education.

2) Banks require around 2200 paid in per year to consider you a 'secure customer'. If you don't get a job and just spend that money, they'll probably start questioning as to whether or not you're a student, and might ask their money back.

3) Naturally, all the money has to be paid back, BUT, like I've said before, it's the greatest interest free loan you'll ever get. It means you don't have go through 3 years of diggin ditches to get to Japan. And when you get over there, hell, become an English Teacher and pay off the loans. The Japanese economy is stronger then that of the UK, so it is a practical solution. The Banks won't even ask for their money back for 4 years. The Student Loans company only take money out of paychecks, so they won't bother you until you get a job, AND they only take around 5% of your paycheck when that happens. 5 grand my friends. My brother borrowed to buy a car through the standard lenders, and the repayments are sucking him dry. With this option, you pay back at your leisure, with 4 years to do it in. And as far as I know, it's not even illegal.

I never for one minute said it was free money. But it's quick money, money to give you access to things instantly. And when you have money, it's easier to make money. That's all I'm saying.


  • Thats cool.... - Lady Killer on Aug 26, 2002, 6:41 PM
  • Hmm... - Shadrin on Aug 26, 2002, 7:26 PM

 Copyright 2003 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement